At least one person said they wanted to hear how I write fiction. That’s enough for me.
So. Here is my list.
- Get an idea. Most of my ideas come from watching TV, watching a movie, or reading a book.
- Start thinking about that idea. Brainstorming of the idea.
- A few weeks/months/etc pass.
- More prewriting. My idea continually morphs and new ideas are added until the original idea is mostly lost and all of a sudden I have a foundation for something good.
- I research. Badly. I don’t particularly like it.
- I write! Yeah! The good part. 1,000-ish words per day.
- Then I finish it in a few months.
- Then I realize how terrible it is.
- But that’s okay, because there is rewriting.
- Then I rewrite it.
- I delete half of it.
- I rewrite again.
- I add the plot.
- Print it out, bind it with hot glue, dental floss.
- I give it to someone to read. They read it. Feedback.
- Change half the plot. Again. And the characters.
- After all this deliberation, outline the scenes and realize that there are still major problems.
Yep. Never get much further than this. I just change things. I never am finished with anything. It’s an enjoyable process. Hard, but enjoyable anyway.