BB · Family Life

He’s here

BB Hoyt is finally here.



Dillon came home from an evening shift at 2:30 a.m. and went to bed. I was up visiting with him for a bit and thought my pregnant belly looked rather low.

At 3:30 a.m., I woke up as my water broke.

I told Dillon he could go back to bed since I wasn’t really feeling contractions yet, but he was up and at it anyway. We got all ready and cleaned up the house some and I ate breakfast. Then we called a babysitter who came around 5:00 and we went to the hospital. I was having some contractions, but nothing very intense.


We got to the hospital and I was dilated to 8 cm, but just sort of walking around with contractions around 8 minutes apart or so. I actually ended up relaxing and reading a book–relaxing a little too much, because my labor wasn’t going anywhere.

So my doctor–a nice guy with a weird name who I had never met before, he was just on-call at the time–he told me to walk around to get things going. So I paced. And paced. And bounced and moved around on a birthing ball. And it helped get things going. They offered pitocin, but I was quite determined to do it completely on my own.


So at around 12:00, the contractions had finally picked up and were more intense and getting closer together–maybe still five minutes apart, though. I had something between five to ten intense contractions, and then it was time to push and so we called in the nurse. And she agreed.

Called in the doctor at around 12:30, and by 12:45 I had a baby. My contractions still were somewhat spaced apart a few minutes, which meant I pushed for a moment, and then we sort of waited around for the next contraction. But I didn’t push for very long–I ended up screaming when my baby came out of me, which is somewhat uncharacteristic of me. But it was intense.

And my baby was huge. 9 lbs, 9 oz. 21 inches long. 14.75 inch head circumference. Or something like that. He was a big boy. He was placed on me and started nursing almost immediately and nursed for a good hour without any interruption. He stayed in my room the whole time I was in the hospital, and they just let us do our thing and also let us go home the next morning without keeping us there forever. We were the only ones in the OB unit in the hospital for most of the time we were there.



Our MM came and visited–she looked huge after seeing our little baby. She was a little confused with all the hospital stuff, but she loves her little brother very, very much. And she is soft and gentle with him too. She helps me burp him and loves to hold him and has been about the best big sister ever. It’s a joy to see them together.






It was a wonderful experience–no pain medicine for me, and I am sort of proud that I did that with such a big boy. I am proud of my son who is so big and doing so well. If he could get his nights and days straightened out, I would be a bit happier, but it’ll happen soon.


My mom came out and has been a big help over the past few days. Dillon has been a big help too. I love my little family and I love finally having my little boy.



4 thoughts on “He’s here

  1. I was just going to text you to see if he had made his grand entrance! But I thought I would check your blog first. He is adorable and you are a wonder mom. Seriously – no epidural (was that the same as MM?). 15 minutes of pushing. You are tough! I’m glad MM is such a big help and I loved her T-shirt. Yay for forever families!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s