EE · Family Life · Heather

my fourth baby – a birth story

The picture above was taken less than two weeks before I had a baby. I grew a lot right before I had the baby. I’ve had all my other babies at least a few days early, but this one was different. My mom came out, but she had to stick around for a few days because the baby was not in a hurry to get here at all. I sort of wasn’t in too big of rush either–I was sort of afraid to have another baby because, well, it hurts..

But then my due date came (which was also my anniversary) and I was actually having some contractions. And I wasn’t afraid anymore. I felt ready. We went on a date to a restaurant and then I had a doctor’s appointment. And then home again. I wanted to go to the hospital and have a baby, but I wasn’t in active labor. While I did have more contractions on my due date than I had before, they never really went anywhere.

Going to bed that night, I was wondering if something would happen. I went to sleep, and a few hours later I woke up. I’m not exactly sure why I woke up, but I went to the bathroom and went back to bed. Didn’t feel too much.

Then a half hour I woke up again. And went to the bathroom again, and this time my water sort of broke. Just a trickle, but then I had two good contractions. I woke up Dillon and we headed off to the hospital. It was about as early as we could have left.

I haven’t had any pain medication for any of my three previous births. And this time around, I was all for it.

When we got to the hospital, my water really broke. I’d been having good contractions in the half hour drive to the hospital, but I thought I still had time.

The labor and delivery unit was quite busy, so I had to wait for a while until someone came and got me to get admitted. Dillon went and parked the car. By the time I went into the hospital, I knew that things had progressed a little further than I had expected or wanted.

I was fully dilated when they checked me.

(Note: With my third baby, I ended up not going to the hospital quick enough and was having pushing contractions without actively pushing. The pushing stage lasted a really long time as everyone continually told me not to push my baby out–and I was exhausted by the time my baby finally came.)

So with this baby, I decided that I was going to push when I felt like I should push. Which was while they were putting an IV in me and getting me admitted. The doctor was luckily there already and she changed into scrubs.

I pushed through one contraction (without telling anyone), and then the next contraction I pushed again. And baby crowned. And I was pushing her out.

No one was ready yet (including me). I had only been there a few minutes, after all. But baby was coming.

It was a little intense for a minute. I didn’t know if it was a boy or a girl, and so I was really happy to find out that she was a girl, because that’s what I really wanted.

She was big. Bigger than I expected: nine pounds, nine ounces. The same weight as my BB. And she was wonderful.

Labor was an hour. Maybe. Really less than that. It happened so very fast. But she was there, and she is wonderful.

More pictures later.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s